The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.17 Elijah was a human being, even as we are. He prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the land for three and a half years. 18 Again he prayed, and the heavens gave rain, and the earth produced its crops. (James 5:16-18).
All true Christians have the same access to God’s power through prayer that the disciples and apostles did. We need to live our lives faithfully and righteously so that our relationship with God will not be hindered. Here is some general advice for accessing the power of prayer:
1. Confess sin (James 5:6). We need to admit our sins to God so that our prayers are not filled with hypocrisy.
2. Seek God’s will. This means that we ask God to reveal His will towards us. Some people think that prayer is all about telling God what we want, but it is also about asking God what He wants us to do. Prayer should not just be a long list of requests.
3. Thank God for His bounty and Worship Him.
4. CHANGE YOUR WAYS! Some people pray for God to do great things, but are unwilling to lift a finger of their own to help others in need. Prayer should never be an excuse for inaction (James 2:16).
5. Humbly, give your requests to God. Do this with both humility and faith:
“Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.” (Phillipians 4:6)