I’ve recently been been studying up on the death of Mohammed and I have found it fascinating how strongly many Muslims insist that Mohammed did not die of poisoning. The claim by many Muslims is Mohammed must have died by “natural causes” because his death happened over three years after he ate the poisoned goat at Khyber.
The problem with this answer is that it contradicts what Mohammed himself said about His own death as recorded in the Hadith. He clearly blames the poison for the sickness/organ damage that finally killed him. If Muslims truly believe that Mohammed was a prophet, than they should accept his own explanation for his death.
“The Prophet in his ailment in which he died, used to say, “O ‘Aisha! I still feel the pain caused by the food I ate at Khaibar, and at this time, I feel as if my aorta is being cut from that poison.” (Shahih Bukhari 5:59:713)
“She said: If you were a prophet, it would not harm you; but if you were a king, I should rid the people of you. The Apostle of Allah (peace be upon him) then ordered regarding her and she was killed. He then said about the pain of which he died: I continued to feel pain from the morsel which I had eaten at Khaybar. This is the time when it has cut off my aorta. (Abu Dawud 39:4498)”
“Narrated Umm Mubashshir: Umm Mubashshir said to the Prophet (peace be upon him) during the sickness of which he died: What do you think about your illness, Apostle of Allah (peace be upon him)? I do not think about the illness of my son except the poisoned sheep of which he had eaten with you at Khaybar. The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: And I do not think about my illness except that. This is the time when it cut off my aorta. (Abu Dawud 39:4499)”